POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PoseRay 3.11.0 released: comments for future improvements : Re: PoseRay 3.11.0 released: comments for future improvements Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoseRay 3.11.0 released: comments for future improvements
From: Janet
Date: 17 Jun 2007 00:40:01
Message: <web.4674ba66d112495dc4e58e10@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> 4) G2 hair: Poser 7 introduced G2 figures and also G2 conforming hair. For
> many reasons G2 hair is more realistic than the conforming hair in Poser 6.
> However, when exported to POV-Ray through Poseray, the result is rather
> disappointing. I discovered now why this is so. G2 hair uses a bump map for
> displacement mapping. Why for displacement is debatable as the hair mesh is
> fine but not particularly so. Better is to use the map as a bump map. The
> results are much better. However, there is a problem with G2 conforming hair
> and Poseray. First, the hair geometry (in the example I used at least) has
> its morphs centered on the neck body part of the hair figure. In Poseray the
> neck of the human figure AND the neck of the hair figure are translated into
> one single mesh geometry group. Second, and as a consequence probably, the
> displacement map for the hair group is not loaded. While the material maps
> for the hair are properly loaded, the bump map is not. When adding the
> proper bump map in Poseray and exporting to POV-Ray, the results are
> excellent.

It's often advantagious to import items one at a time. An obj for hair, an
obj for the figure, the poncho, etc. For example, if you are working on the
poncho material in POV-Ray, you can comment out the other objects and it
parses much faster.
I use a method like this:
//Assembled objects ...
#include "BodyVase3_POV_geom.inc" object{BodyVase3_}
#include "V4Head_POV_geom.inc" object{V4Head_}
#include "Hat_POV_geom.inc" object{Hat_}
#include "Flowers_POV_geom.inc" object{Flowers_}

Janet